Friday, July 31, 2015

Established 1802

I did it! I achieved my two mains goals. Finish this in time for my show and complete it in acrylics. As oil is my go to medium; which I have painted in since I was 13; when I was challenged or just feeling tired and lazy I wanted to opt out and reach for my oils. Perseverance and the deadline looming made me stick with it. By the end of the painting, I had developed a bond with this medium. I have found a system that worked for me but this does not come without guilt. Guilt you say to a medium, to a style? Or is it maybe more a bit of remorse and embarrassment for discounting acrylics for so long. And what about my affiliations? Must I now not call myself an oil painter? As artists do we really need to be defined by the medium we use or even a defined style for that matter? As artists, are we not drawn to create by an internal need, a vision, and do we not continue to create through the very act itself? The joy of colour, the texture of the medium, the complete and utter immersion of self into the act of creating? I love most mediums (I haven't tried them all). Each has it's own beauty and utility. 

i muck about in ~ oils, pastels, everything ~ no subject defined


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful work Chris! Congratulations on reaching your 2 goals!

    ReplyDelete